SerbianLatinEnglish (UK)
Friday, 18 August 2017

Monastery Manasija

FaceBook  Twitter  

monastery-manasiaMonastery Manasija (Resava) is one of the major monuments of Serbian medieval culture and one of the most important buildings, which belongs to the so-called "Moravia school. The monastery was built by Despot Stefan Lazarevic, also known as High Stefan.

The construction took place between 1407 and 1418 year. Immediately after its establishment, Manasija has become a cultural center of Serbian state under rule of Despot Stefan. Its "Resavska school" was a hand copying workshop, and was the source of written works and translations, and after the fall of the Serbian lands under Turkish rule, throughout the 15th and 16th century.
During the centuries of Ottoman occupation, the monastery was repeatedly devastated and destroyed. Although badly damaged, frescoes of Manasija are among the greatest range of medieval art.

Of the preserved frescoes the most interesting is founders composition on the west wall of the main part of the church where the despot Stefan holds charter in one hand and the in the second model of the monastery. In this fresco he is in royal robes with the royal insignia. To the south and the north wall - the choirs - preserved the magnificent figures of holy warriors. In the upper zones of the choir are painted scenes from the life of the Lord Jesus Christ and illustrated stories from the Gospels. In the main dome are presented Old Testament prophets. In the altar there is painting of Communion Procession of the Holy Apostles and Fathers, among them (the last in line to the north) the first Serbian archbishop - St. Sava. On the pillars are well preserved medallions with busts of saints, the figure of St. Archangel Michael (the south) and St. Peter of Alexandria (on the northern pillar).