SerbianLatinEnglish (UK)
Tuesday, 21 November 2017

Monastery Ljubostinja

FaceBook  Twitter  

monastery-ljubostinjaMonastery Ljubostinja lies near Trstenik and Vrnjacka spa,lLocated in the small mountain valley of the river Ljubostinjska. 

It is dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. The monastery was built from the 1388 to the 1405 year.

In Ljubostinja were buried Princess Milica, Lazar's wife and nun Jefimija that were here after the Battle of Kosovo (1389), and became a nun with a number of widows who lost their husbands, knights in the Serbian battles of Marica and Kosovo Polje. Today Ljubostinja is female monastery which preserves and maintains about fifty nuns. During the “Kocina krajina” (1787-1788) rebellion against Turks, Ljubostinja invited the people to revolt.

After the fall of rebellion Turks burned the monastery in order to revenge the Serbs. Then most of the frescoes were destroyed. Also, when the monastery was set on fire it revealed a secret treasure that was hidden in the monastery wall behind icons where the Princess Milica hid her treasure. Among the stolen treasure was the crown of prince Lazar which is now in Istanbul. Ljubostinja has three side basis of the developed type with a dome and a narthex. It was build from semi cuted stone, while the facade was covered with mortar and painted to imitate stone and brick masonry. The monastery was built in the Morava style. Builder's was proto master Rade Borovic, whose name appears on the verge of passage from the narthex to the nave. Paintings, only partially preserved, were made on two occasions. Located in the narthex, there are portraits of Prince Lazar and Princess Milica made by the monk Macarius. From painting works are still preserved: "Great Holidays," "Passion," "Miracles" ... The church also have very valuable iconostasis which in 1822 was painted by Nikola Marković.