SerbianLatinEnglish (UK)
Friday, 18 August 2017

Monastery of St. Prohor Pcinjski

FaceBook  Twitter  

monastery-sv-prohor-pcinjski


Monastery of St. Prohor Pčinjski is located on the wooded slopes of Mount Kozjak on the left bank of the river Pčinja, near Vranje. According to legend, it was built in the XI century by Byzantine emperor Roman Diogenes in gratitude to St. Prohor Pcinjski, which he predicted would become emperor.

The monastery is a cultural and educational center of the area and it is theological seminary, a copying workshop, and organizes learning Courses in icon craft.
After the Battle of Kosovo (1389) monastery was destroyed by the Ottomans, and the on 1489 it was rebuilt by the Marin from Kratovo. Fom that period originate the painted frescoes which are among the most significant artistic creations of its time. In the XVI century in the monastery there was a painting workshop, whose artists painted frescoes of great art value in the chapel on the south side of the church.

The ancient temple was built on the old cult place, where Venerable Prohor Pcinjski lived. Despite the lack of reliable physical evidence there is reason to claim that the actual tomb of St. Prohor was part of the original temple. From oldest relics to date it is preserved chapel, where lie the relics of St.. Prohor.

The Spherical shaped east side are placed the relics of the Saint, where is, in the right upper corner a small hole from which flows miraculously myrrh for the entire millennium now. Sv. Prohor is the only Serbian saint-“myrrh spring” in Serbia. 
The second time the church was painted after the reconstruction from the time of Archbishop Sava III (1309-1316). One of the most important painters of the Byzantine world engaged in the court of King Milutin, Michael Astrapa, painted the church of Sv. Prohor in 1316 or 1317 year.