SerbianLatinEnglish (UK)
Tuesday, 21 November 2017

Monastery Studenica

FaceBook  Twitter  

monastery-studenica


Studenica Monastery is one of the largest and richest monasteries of the Serbian Orthodox Church. It is located 39 km from Kraljevo,
Studenica Monastery and it was founded by Stefan Nemanja in the year 1190. 

 

Fortified walls of the monastery surrounding two churches: the Church of the Holy Virgin and Kings church (Church of Saints Joachim and Anne) both made of marble. The monastery is known for its collection of frescoes from the thirteenth and fourteenth century. UNESCO included Studenica in the list of World Heritage Sites, on 1986.
Studenica Monastery is dedicated to the Holy Virgin. The first phase of works is completed in the spring of 1196, when Stefan Nemanja left the throne to his son, Stefan the First Crowned and returned to Studenica. Nemanja's third son Sava Nemanjić is, after reconciling his brothers Stefan and Vukan, transferred the relics of St. Simeon in Studenica where they are today.


Under Sava’s custody, Studenica became political, cultural and spiritual center of medieval Serbia. In addition to his other works, Sava wrote Studenica tipik, in which he dealt rules of monastic life in the monastery Studenica. Thebook Life of ST. Simeon Nemanja, described the life of his father, Nemanja (St. Simeon) leaving the sources of spiritual and monastic life in his time. 

Studenica enjoyed the attention of other members of the Nemanja dynasty. King Radoslav 1245 built the church narthex, and King Milutin built a small church dedicated to St. Joachim and Anne. 
Since the fall of the last of the medieval Serbian state in 1459, the Turks have often attacked the monastery. The first major restoration was carried out in 1569, when the frescoes of the Virgin Mary Church were re-painted. In early seventeenth century, fire and earthquake damaged the monastery, and historical documents and important parts of the artistic heritage have been destroyed and lost forever. 
North of the dining room there are the eighteen century lodgings. It is now a museum in it, which are subject to a number of valuables from the Studenica treasury, although it is considerably impoverished by frequent wars and robberies.